Re: curl dependency problem in unstable

On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 11:06:49AM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:
> On 25-Jun-07, 08:33 (CDT), Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 02:07:05PM +0700, arief@gmail wrote:
> > > I'm having this problem in unstable for a week now:
> >
> > I'm sorry, but I don't think inquiries about unstable issues are on
> > topic here,
>
> Um, why then would we encourage users of unstable to subscribe to
> debian-devel and ask questions here?

Do we?  I thought we only encourage them to subscribe to unstable to
read it and keep current on possible issues.

> Problems with the unstable archives are on-topic for -devel.

There's always tons of problems with packages in unstable not installing
etc.  Unless you mean something else with `the unstable archive' I don't
see how asking here about every apt-get install <foo> failing will work
out - We've got dozens of people in #debian asking that everyday.

My understanding is that we do not support users running unstable with
their package interdependency problems - they should be able to fix
those themselves if they run unstable (at least, that is the current
stance in #debian, where we resolve those problems on a best-effort
basis contrary to stable/testing issues, dunno about the debian-user
list).  They should file bugs for them if there aren't any of course,
and we support them in sofar as we expect the respective maintainers to
fix those issues once they are reported.

Just mailing debian-devel instead shouldn't be encouraged, IMHO, we'd
drown in those mails if everybody did that.  Hrm, maybe we should have
this discussion on -project, m-f-t set.

cheers,

Michael