Re: Proposed new release goal: Dependency/file list predictability

On Mon, Jun 25, 2007 at 12:34:30PM +0200, Frank Küster wrote:
> Bill Allombert <Bill.Allombert@math.u-bordeaux1.fr> wrote:

> >> The footnote was missing, unfortunately:  I'm really curious about the
> >> plans for the menu structure update.
> >
> > The plan is explained in bug #361418. If you to comment on it, please
> > do it ASAP.
> >
> > The footnote was supposed to refer to the fact that menu will silently
> > translate the old structure to the new one for a large number of
> > menu entries, but unfortunately not for af, so I discarded the footnote.
>
> Ah, okay - I knew about the automatic translation, but was under the
> impression that this should work for all or at least nearly all packages.

Well it can work for all the packages, but there is no direct mapping
from the old structure to the new one, and special-casing two hundred
packages (out of 2500 providing menu entry) is something I would really
much avoid.

Much better to NMU two hundred packages to fix the menu entries
properly. Some packages deserve a sourceful upload this millenium...

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.