Re: Nexuiz 2.3

someone who prefers to remain anonymous writes:

> Reinhard Tartler wrote:
>> Sorry? Nexuiz 2.3 is already package by the debian games team, uploaded
>> to unstable and requested to be synced to gutsy by my, and available in
>> both distros. What are you exactly requesting?
>
> I'm on X86, 32-bit, Debian, Lenny.

That information would have been helpful in the first email

> Ok, there are three packages to Nexuiz.
> Nexuiz
> Nexuiz-data
> Nexuiz-music
>
> In unstable, all of these packages have the version 2.3-1
> In testing, the nexuiz-data and nexuiz-music packages have the version
> 2.3-1, *however* the nexuiz package in testing is at version 2.2.3-1
>
> The nexuiz package itself is quite important as it installs a 'bin' file
> which contains the game engine, so this version in testing is not at
> 2.3-1, it's still at 2.2.3-1
>
> Look here if you'd like to check the repository site.
> http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=nexuiz&searchon=names&subword=1&version=all&release=all
>
> Put simply, the game engine of v2.3 isn't in testing, it looks like a
> mistake on the packaging side.  The nexuiz package has a bin file, and
> that's at v2.2.3-1.  Can you check this out?

Yes. Generally, I recommend people running debian testing to have both
testing and unstable in their sources.list, and pin apt to testing. In
this particular case:

siretart@hermes:~ $ grep-excuses  nexuiz
grep-excuses  nexuiz
nexuiz (2.2.3-1 to 2.3-1)
    Maintainer: Debian Games Team
    13 days old (needed 10 days)
    out of date on sparc: nexuiz, nexuiz-server (from 2.2.3-1)
    Not considered
    Depends: nexuiz curl

Both packages have been uploaded at the same time, and I could not
forsee that it has still not been built and uploaded on sparc on time. I
think to avoid this situation in the future the correct way was to use
a versioned "Breaks" field on nexuiz-data:

Breaks: nexuiz (<< 2.3)

apt now has support for breaks, dpkg will get it on the next upload I
think, I'm not sure if britney needs to be extended for this as well.

CC'ing debian-{games,devel}@l.d.o for comments if I'm right here.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4