Re: Odd dh_strip failure with some packages

> Actually, AFAIK it has to do with whether the *read* bit is set.  I.e.,
> the files are installed as a non-root user, readable only by the owner;
> then root tries to read the file in the binary target, without first
> changing the permissions.

Well, unless the buildd is running with some demented umask, that's not
happening with webauth.  Everything is created with the default umask.

> How many packages are you seeing with this problem?  I'm not keen on the
> idea of having dh_strip try to work around it, but maybe dh_strip could
> be changed to treat such failures as fatal errors at least.

http://lintian.debian.org/reports/Tunstripped-binary-or-object.html

Nearly all of those appear to be this problem.  There are a few where the
maintainer really isn't stripping files, but that's much rarer.  Look for
any of the packages there that were autobuilt on i386.

If dh_strip makes this an error, ninsei is going to stop being able to
build various packages, which will probably help get this fixed, I guess.