Re: Using standardized SI prefixes

Le vendredi 15 juin 2007 à 13:46 -0400, Phillip Susi a écrit :
> Different disciplines often ascribe different meanings to the same
> words, so there is no reason why the prefix "Kilo" can not mean 1024 in
> the context of computer science, so please stop complaining about that.

You cannot always infer a unit from the context. Asking for inaccuracy
for such fallacious reasons sounds completely insane, from a scientific
PoV.

> You should just learn that in this context, that is what it means.
> Always has and always will.

Sorry, it hasn't always been like this. And there is even less reason
for things to *remain* like this. The only reason that was invoked so
far is laziness.

> Because we needed a name, and Kilo is a good one to use.  There is no
> rule that says you can't use the word for a different meaning in a
> different context.

Do you need a rule not to do something stupid?

> And before computers were invented the word mouse always referred to a
> small hairy rodent.  I don't see you complaining that it can also refer
> to the computer pointing device on your desk.  When someone says they
> caught a mouse or they clicked with their mouse, you can easily infer
> which one they mean.

If you want comparisons, find suitable ones; you're talking about 1024
being close to 1000. Pi is close to 3, so we can say 3 instead of Pi as
well. When told the area of a circle is 3r², you'll be able to infer
that in this context, 3 means Pi.

> The context clearly indicates the meaning is 1024.  When referring to
> bytes that context uses 1024.

Not always.

--
 .''`.