Re: How to package software with binaries in tarball?

Sergei Golovan <sgolovan@gmail.com> wrote:
> What is a recommended practice of packaging programs, for which
> distributed tarball contains binaries (generated from the sources)?

> Specifically, newly released erlang distribution includes prebuilt
> architecture-independent binary files.

> Should we remove them from the original tarball, or is it better to leave them?

Unless there is a huge a gain in tarball size I would keep the
pristine source. It is rather nice to be able take debian's tar.gz and
verify with md5sum or a detached gpg sig that upstream's tarball is
identical. OTOH if I needed to repackaged the source tarball anyway
since it contains non DFSG free material I would remove the binaries
too.
cu andreas

so grateful to you.'