Re: Reasonable maximum package size ?

On Wed, Jun 06, 2007 at 01:58:33AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 06:28:53PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> > Le Tue, Jun 05, 2007 at 10:09:07AM +0200, Michael Hanke a ?crit :
> > > My question is now: Is it reasonable to provide this rather huge amount
> > > of data in a package in the archive?
> > many thanks for bringing this crucial question on -devel. In my field, I
> > wish that it would be possible to apt-get install the human genome for
> > instance.
>
> Are either of you going to debconf, or able to point out some example
> large (free?) data sets that should be packaged like this as a test case
> for playing with over debconf?
No, I'm not going to Debconf, but here is an example package (arch:all) to play
with (approx. 150MB):

http://apsy.gse.uni-magdeburg.de/~hanke/bigpack/caret-data_5.5~dfsg.1-1.dsc

or if you prefer the (repackaged) orig tarball only

http://apsy.gse.uni-magdeburg.de/~hanke/bigpack/caret-data_5.5~dfsg.1.orig.tar.gz

FYI: this is among other stuff a stereotaxic brain atlas.

The data is GPL licensed, but for some reason (I guess user-tracking)
upstream requires everyone to register prior to download. It is a little
strange, but this is the current situation. Therefore uscan doesn't
work -- the watch file doesn't list the login/password. I'm trying to convince
upstream to get rid of the registration requirement rather than
impolitely bypassing it by putting it in the watchfile. Anyway, that should
not matter for this purpose.

Thanks for working on this problem,

Michael

--