Re: Dependencies on shared libs, take 2

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007, Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 04, 2007 at 10:54:30AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
> > Library maintainers who want to avoid any mistakes can use the "-c" option
> > (for compare) which will make the compilation fail if the generated
> > symbols file differ from the maintainer supplied file. In that case, the
> > build log contains a diff between the two symbols files and he can analyze
> > the differences (and update his file if necessary).
>
> I think this should be the default behaviour.

Well, the default behaviour that I intended to use is somewhat different
and more suited to small libraries maybe:

- the maintainer runs a script 'update-symbols' which downloads the latest
  symbols files for all arches in debian/ from a central server which
  extracts the symbols file from the last-built package.
- the maintainer builds the new upstream package and the new symbol
  information is auto-merged in the generated symbols file

This scheme allows to simply follow the history of the package without
complicating too much the life of the maintainer.

Furthermore non-versioned libraries export many private functions which
can appear and disappear, and it shouldn't necessarily fail because of
that. So this option is probably well suited for versioned libraries but
too much hassle for non-versioned ones.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog