Re: Improving dependencies on shared libraries

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Sat, May 26, 2007 at 11:02:37PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > Right, I read your message too quickly, sorry. However the maintainer
> > can change the symbols file in his package and update the dependency
> > associated to this symbol and make sure that a binary using this symbol
> > will depend on the version used to build the package.
>
> Miss one and you create a whole ****load of bugs. It also presumes the
> library maintainer knows enough about libraries to be able to handle
> this type of thing, which I do not think is a safe presumption.

Pierre explained that a sane library maintainer could/would use a new
version associated to the symbol even the ABI hasn't changed so that any
application linked against the newer version get to effectively depend
on the new version.

I really think that the benefits outweigh those problems by an order of
magnitude. And as Mike said, it's not worse than forgetting to bump the
shlibs currently.

On the contrary, with my mecanism if a new symbol appear it's
automatically associated to the new release. Thus it's no more possible
to "miss new symbols and forget to bump the shlibs". I really think that
on the whole, it will be way better than the current situation.

I have a first version of the code implementing most of this and I'm going
to send that info in a separate mail RSN.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog