Re: Is there a way to positively, uniquely identify which Debian release a program is running on?

PS: To address the original question: Being a molecular biologist, my initial idea was to use an approach similar to that used in gene analysis: look at the entire set of packages installed on a specific system (package name and version), and then determine what known distro the set is closest related to.

I put that aside because I wanted something working quickly, but the idea of being able to make a "family tree" of distros still seems like fun. It isn't hard to do.

Cheers,
Morten

--
Morten Kjeldgaard, Asc. professor, Ph.D.
Department of Molecular Biology, Aarhus University