Re: checklib

On Wed, 2007-05-30 at 02:19:33 -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Thu, 24 May 2007 20:26:00 +0200, A Mennucc said:
> > hi what about http://rerun.lefant.net/checklib/ ?
>
> > madcoder mentioned in
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2007/01/msg00822.htmlof the
> > intention of getting the checklib service up again: any progress?
>
>         Most of the incantations of checklib did so on a per binary
>  object basis -- which is useless in packages like fvwm, that have
>  gazillions of plugins generated from the same CFLAGS in a global
>  makefile. If some binary in a .deb needs it, a library can't be
>  eliminated from build depends, so the lib minimization can't be done.

I don't think it's completely useless, it is for the purpose of reducing
Build-Depends, but those plugins/programs are linking against stuff
they don't actually need, and those libraries are loaded w/o a reason.
Reducing run-time "bloat" is good as well, I'm willing to fix those bugs
on my packages and feed the fixes upstream!

>         Has this been fixed in the latest incantation?

Please "fix" this by adding an additional mode/view, not replacing the
current one.

regards,
guillem