Re: Platform for strategy/simulation games

On Sun, May 27, 2007 at 03:44:36PM +0200, Tobias Nadler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on a program (called "MyUniverse") that has reached a
> point, where it can show its very basic abilities, but still needs
> much programming effort to fullfill its aims. It is a platform for
> strategy/simulation games with a diagonal view onto the map.
> What I want to say with "platform" here is, that the application as a
> such cannot start a game, but requires plugins to do the simulation.
> It offers an API for the plugins on the one hand, and handles the GUI
> on the other hand, so that one does not need to take care of the GUI
> when developing a plugin. It is also possible to have many plugins
> working in one game-session, where each plugin has a different job
> (i.e. one to simulate the nature, one to simulate a city's traffic,
> one to settle people...). This allows a modular process of
> development, which could offer new abilities for the open-source
> community.
> I know that there are some quite good FLOSS simulation games already,
> but the ressources of events/surprises/tactics that keep a game
> interesting for long are limited. Concluding these ressources would
> improve the situation. With the plugin concept, cooperation between
> plugin developers would be very much easier than between developers
> of independent games.
>
> The platform could be used for "just for fun"-games, but also for
> very realistic simulations (making it useful for edutainment).
>
> I have made some more information availible on my homepage:
>  http://www.lrz.de/~tobiasnadler/myuniverse/index.html
>
> Up to now I have been working on it in order to get some experience
> in C++-plugin-development, but also to possibly contribute a little
> to the free software movement. Now the time has come where the
> learning purpose vanishes and I would like to know whether it makes
> sense to continue with the development, hopefully together with the
> open source community.
>
> What do you think about this project and its intentions?
Without seeing what you have done, I can make a few comments. If you
make your project use a 'free software' license, then this allows for
folks to start to use your work in what ever way they want/can. So, once
its released as such, and you give it some advertisement, like the
above, folks will start to 'kick the tires' and see what they can do
with it, even if its not a '1.0' version yet. If folks find it
interesting , they will give you feed back. That is part of the 'loop'
for free software developemtn. You can also look at the
debian-mentors.net site, if you want more help on making a better debian
package.
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|