Re: Reasons for recommends and suggests

Le Sat, May 19, 2007 at 09:52:44AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava a écrit :

>         A field in the control file is unlikely to have enough space to
>  truly state the reasons (remember, the maintainer has alsready stated
>  that in their judgement the packages belong together for all but the
>  most unusual installations).  Adding a special file with expanded
>  explanations or essays might work.

Hi all,

I am quite convinced that recommended packages do not need to be
justified, but I think that the need for such a justification in the
case of suggested packages will go growing. Soon or later, the apt
frontends will be able to use Debtags smartly, and suggest packages by
themselves. Then what will remain in the Suggests: field of the control
file will indeed be what is difficult to guess and needs to be
explained.

By the way, Manoj, I think that I did not understand why you say that
there is not enough space in the control file while it is able to host
the long description of packages? We could have something like:

Suggests: foo, bar, baz

Justify-foo: To play while the program works for you.
Justify-bar: Here a longer discussions which
 takes advantages of the format
 of the control file
Justify-baz: You can use baz instead of bar.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
http://charles.plessy.org