Re: The number of etch installations is rocketing...

On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 12:21:09AM +0200, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Pe?a wrote:
> > Looking at the submission numbers from
> > <URL:http://popcon.debian.org/>, I am happy to report that the number
> > of Etch installations is increasing fast.
> IMHO there are some ways we could track get some better numbers for that.
> Given the fact that "many" users are using security.debian.org as the default
> security mirror, that etch enables it by default (there were some previous
> releases that didn't IIRC) and that *we* have control over those servers'
> logs we could count the number of downloads of the Packages files from the
> official security mirrors [1].
> [...]
> [1] Official mirrors could also be used, but getting the logs from the
> different admins would be rather difficult.

Actually, it wouldn't be all that difficult. All we have to do is ask.
I bet that most people would be happy to send us their logs if we asked them
nicely. We already bother them with various other requests, this wouldn't
be a major thing for most people.

Cc:ing and MFT'ing debian-mirrors for further discussion of this particular

As it happens, the other day I was going about fixing up our own HTTP daemon
log analysis for www.debian.org - we had the logs on our machine, but nobody
noticed that our webalizer cron jobs died due to an upgrade. My point being,
just because it's on project-owned machines that doesn't necessarily mean
that we'll do a particularly good job of it :) the other volunteers who
don't happen to be official developers but contribute their knowledge as
mirror admins could almost as easily help collect this data.

     2. That which causes joy or happiness.