Re: Feature request for GnuPG crypted Debian packages

Scribit Michelle Konzack dies 25/04/2007 hora 20:44:
> > I think you're targetting the wrong layer of the system. If many
> > packages contain so much sensitive data, it would be easier to
> > encrypt a tarball or part of a FS where packages are read.
> The packages are in general on the Server!

Could you be more precise? First ISTR you talked about a CD with
sensitive data. Now there's a package server. The two scenario are
completely different, and call for completely different protection
schemes, I'd say.

> > As far as D-I is concerned, you could probably easily add a udeb to
> > deal with decrypting and unpacking of that senstive part, and leave
> > apt and dpkg untouched.
> You mean, put the crypred tarball into the DEB?

No. I mean you could have an encrypted tarball on the debian installer
CD, and that tarball could be unpacked by a compononent of the
installer. The debian packages in the tarball would then be reachable by
apt and dpkg in a totally normal way (you could either add another
source or use some union FS).

> > On the other hand, if not all the Debian package is sensitive, you
> > better be encrypting data inside it, and have the application or an
> > helper decrypt it when needed, maybe in maintainer scripts.
> I was trying this too, but Sometimes I get conflicts with Packages
> containing the same files.

Then your files are probably at the wrong place, and the packages
probably aren't FHS compliant. Correct them before "enhancing" dpkg to
work around the issue.

Quickly,
Pierre
--