Re: Mandatory -dbg packages for libraries? (and API docs too)

Neil Williams wrote:

<snip>
> There is a distinct lack of man (3) and "coordinated" documentation for
> libraries in Debian. True, some poorly documented packages include test
> programs or examples somewhere under /usr/share/doc/ but it isn't
> simple to track these down.

Is it unreasonable to expect libfoo's docs (independent of format or
quality) to be located under /usr/share/doc/libfoo, and not somewhere else?

<snip>
> Noting if the Debian library package differs significantly to
> the library upstream and why - not somewhere in NEWS.gz or README.gz,
> but in the one place application developers will look, the API docs.

AFAIK, README.Debian is _the_ place where divergences from upstream should
be noted. I can't find (yes, I only glanced through the documents, please
correct me if I'm wrong) any reference to that neither in the Debian FAQ
nor the Debian Reference, which I assume are the 2 most important user
documents. Maybe a note should be added?

--

  Felipe Sateler