Re: Mandatory -dbg packages for libraries?

On Sun, Apr 22, 2007 at 07:29:55PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:

> > > I'd rather see some offline debug-symbol infrastructure for all
> > > packages implemented, so that you can download the debug symbols when
> > > you need them.
> >
> > But the -dbg package only depends on the same version of the library -
> > the library won't depend on the -dbg so those who need the -dbg are the
> > only ones who would download and install them.
>
> Each time this has come up before, the concern has been that adding -dbg
> versions of every binary package would greatly inflate the size of the
> archive, and nearly double the total number of packages, with associated
> scalability problems.
>
> Even with separated debugging symbols, -dbg packages are frequently
> larger than the package they provide debugging symbols for. See for
> example xserver-xorg-core-dbg. Looking through the 227 lib*-dbg
> packages, I found few contain separated debugging symbols, except for
> packages maintained by the xorg team[1]. I'm not sure if this is due
> many people still not knowing about separated debugging symbols, or due
> to technical reasons. For example, is there a tecnical reason why
> libc6-dbg does not contain separated debugging symbols?
>
> Anyway, doubling the size of the archive is less of an issue than it
> might have been in the past, since we've done the archive split, and
> since ftp-master has 1.4 Terabytes of disk with half that unused, but
> it is still a concern, for mirrors, number of DVDs, etc.

	What about some special parts on the archive for this, somethings like
what is actually used for source packages, but of course arch dependant:

deb-dbg http://http.us.debian.org/debian sid main

could translate to http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dist/sid/main/dbg-$arch
where all the -dbg packages could live. That would minimize the impact
making -dbg packages easier not to mirror and avoid cluttering packages
lists for non-developers users while only adding a 'add a deb-dbg
mirror' instruction for requesting a backtrace on a bug report.

> Scalability issues with the number of packages have also been reduced in
> some areas. apt no longer has to download the while Packages files on
> each update, so it wouldn't take 2x the bandwidth to add -dbg packages
> for every package to the Packages files. There would still be
> significant impact in apt's memory usage, in the disk space used to
> store the Packages files, in the UIs that have to somehow present or
> hide all these -dbg packages, etc.

	With the above approach this impact is minimized quite nicely.

--
Damián Viano(Des)              ¯ ¯ - _           _ - ¯ ¯
GPG: 0x6EB95A6F                 Debian ¯-_GNU_-¯ Linux