Re: Mandatory -dbg packages for libraries?

Mark Brown wrote:
> I'd be interested to see some numbers on the archive size impact - my
> experience with C++ suggests that the size inflation caused by debug
> symbols can be enormous.

I don't know about C++, but for C it depends. For example, aalib is a
102 kb library that compresses to 44kb. Its debug symbols are 234 kb and
compress to 65 kb.

OTOH, people rarely need full debugging information for aalib, it's
probably plenty to see its functions in the backtrace, and not have line
number info (bear in mind that line number info includes effectively the
entire source code of the program). So it I build it with -g1, the
debug symbols size drops to 48 kb and compresses to 14 kb.

--
see shy jo