Re: Slow package database

> Interesting.  I have ~1600 packages installed on my development machine
> and I do not experience the slowness you talk about.  It was installed
> about 3.5 years ago.

> How much RAM/CPU does the machine have?  How fast are the disks?

I have a Athlon X2 3800+ with 2Gig of RAM. To install a single package it
takes 10s real time. I have a SATA 250GB disk. I have ~1500 packages
installed. On a 2.8 Ghz P4 with 512MB RAM (~1800 packages) it does take 20-30
seconds. I also note that dselect eats up 40+ MB on this second machine and
really slows down the machine during an install.

--
Ganesan Rajagopal