Re: Ethernet interface numbering in etch

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 12:01:13AM +0200, Gabor Gombas wrote:
> No, ever since distros started using modular kernels, hotplug _is_ the
> norm.

debian (and other distros) used modular kernels (2.4.18 in woody)
without hotplug or the like.

> You can get rid of it only by building your own kernel image with
> all hardware drivers statically built in and module support disabled.

I still use stock debian kernels with initrd build by yaird and
absolutely NO trace of udev, hotplug, discover or the like on my
machines. The needed modules are loaded (either by the initrd or)  by
listing them in /etc/modules  in the wanted order. [Moreover I do not
use the debian installer: I boot from a live debian-based distro and
either I copy an existing installation or I use debbootstrap].