Re: Alioth lists are too strict in checking senders

On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 07:23:51AM -0600, Luis Rodrigo Gallardo Cruz wrote:
> In trying to send mail to an alioth ml I got:
>
> The following message to <pkg-mdadm-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org> was undeliverable.
> The reason for the problem:
> 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-"Verification failed for <prvs=rodrigo=594bf1d30@nul-unu.com>\nCalled:   207.44.202.99\nSent:     RCPT TO:<prvs=rodrigo=594bf1d30@nul-unu.com>\nResponse: 550 5.1.1 <prvs=rodrigo=594bf1d30@nul-unu.com>... User unknown\nSender callout failed: Sender adress can't be verified trough SMTP check."
>
> Shouldn't such tests cause, at most, mail to be queued up for
> moderation? There probably are many users who are in no position to do
> anything about sender verification failures[1], and this can efectively
> cut them out from communication with many Debian projects.
>
> [1] Me, for one. My home ISP demands I only send mail through their
> SMTP relay.

Why does your outbound mail configuration affect sender verification?
The recipient should only check that the address is deliverable, not
necessarily that it is deliverable *to the sending server*.

If you are using your own domain but relaying through your ISP to send,
it seems to be a problem with your incoming server still.

Hamish