Problems packaging a kernel using cdbs

I've seen some posts on debian-devel from a while back which indicates
some of you (Robert Millan) you've build a kernel using cdbs. I'm
trying to do the same but ran into issues. My kernel is simple though,
no modules, just the kernel. The problem I am running into is I have a
target "kernel" in my Makefile which builds the kernel correctly when
I run

make kernel

manually, however trying to build the debian package fails in the same
target complaining it cannot find header files for when building the
first target which relies on a file which includes headers from
include/linux. The target it fails at is

arch/i386/kernel/asm-offsets.s

This relies on

arch/i386/kernel/asm-offsets.c

which includes files from include/linux.

If you'd like to see what I'm talking about here is a sample minimal
package which demos what I am talking about:

http://ruslug.rutgers.edu/~mcgrof/cdbs/foo-0.1.tar.bz2

Running "make kernel" will work but "debuild" fails. My debian/rules
looks like this:

#!/usr/bin/make -f
include /usr/share/cdbs/1/rules/debhelper.mk
include /usr/share/cdbs/1/class/makefile.mk

Any advice on how to move forward is greatly appreciated.

 Luis