Re: co-mentor for a GSoC proposal wanted: debbugs web submission

> > Hint, Steve: l10n...:-)
>
> Heh, I'm unhappy as it is with the practice of translators of submitting
> full .po files instead of diffs. ;)

(getting OT)

Actually, I'm among the ppl who discourage the use of diff files for
PO files.

The various differences in formatting behaviour of the PO editing
tools, versions of gettext utilities and the like usually generate too
much crap in diffs.

Moreover, it's not unusual that a maintainer has to deal with PO files
updates a quite long time after the bug submission....with the
original file being modified (even if only for formatting) in the
meatime.

So, many "diff doesn't apply' interactions between maitnainers and
translators happen pretty often.

So, my usual recommendation for translators is "just submit the full
PO file, preferrably uncompressed and preferrably named exactly as it
should be used".

"uncompressed" is meant to save some time to maintainers. We're now
away from the days where sending .gz files was a common trick to avoid
bad handling of encodings by MUAs

"use the final name" is also a time saver and will avoid some bad
initiatives by maintainers such as naming German translations de_DE.po
or Czech translations as cz.po