State of the slimserver package.

I'm in a quandary about the future of the slimserver package.

There's a problem with upstream: it contains a significant amount of non-free stuff, which had to be ripped out of the software before it went into Debian. This means that the Debian package is missing some functionality, and that the process of going from an upstream download to a Debian package is a huge amount of work. The non-free stuff is firmware images, graphics, fonts and HTML for the web interface.

At the time I put slimserver into Debian, there was no upstream .deb available, and there was a significant possibility that the restrictions on what could go into the official Debian package would be relaxed. Neither of these facts is still true.

Upstream now makes available a repository with complete .debs and dependencies: installing the lastest release means adding the slim-devices package repository to sources.list and running apt. The packages seem to be of good quality, but probably not a completely seamless upgrade to the current debian package. The packages are not DFSG-compliant: they contain the whole of the software, with nothing removed, but the non-free stuff (missing in the official .debs) is not re-distributable. Source packages are not provided. The packages were based on at least some of my packaging work, but they have diverged considerably.

SlimDevices was bought, last year, by Logitech. I understand that there is now no real chance of more of slimserver becoming DFSG-free.

The package in unstable is now signifcantly out of date, so I need to decide if I should put considerable effort into making new packages. I've already done enough work to determine that this will not be trivial. Given that Squeezebox users can now get Slimserver, packaged for Debian, directly from SlimDevices, I'm not particularly motivated to do this.

It's a pity that an un-crippled SlimServer package can't go into Debian, but that seems to be case, for the forseeable future.

So the question is, what should I do? Should I try and maintain a parallel and not-as-good package in Debian? Should I orphan the package in case anyone else wants to try? Should the package be removed from Etch+1? If so, how can we tell users to go direct to SlimDevices instead?

Cheers,

Simon.