Re: On maintainers not responding to bugs

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 11:26:51 -0500, Roberto C Sanchez
<roberto@connexer.com> said:

> On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 10:16:17AM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>>
>> Volunteers volunteer because of non-monetary rewards they gain from
>> contributing.

        I should have known better to not guard against nit picking.
 Let me put it this way: if one volunteers to do some work for
 $REWARD, where $REWARD != money, and if one does not have tie to
 spend on it as one would for a full time job, then the situation
 *MAY* arise that the paid employee, with more time, and focus, has
 done the taks before you get a round tuit.

        That means $REWARD does not come to you.

        Let me now address the specific case you raise:

> Really?  I volunteer (in addition to the altruistic reasons) because
> I want to learn more about Linux and Debian, which makes me a better
> consultant to people and also improves future job prospects.  Those
> two things are decidedly monetary gains.

        So, when you find that you are not learning much because the
 paid employee has tackled everything on your plate to do to learn
 things while you were struggling with item number 1, and does
 anything quicker than you do, because, well, they have more time, and
 are learning faster than you because they do the work and, you know,
 practice helps.  You are relegated to reading other people's code,
 with is not the best way to learn.

        You'll be learning faster, making mistakes and learning from
 them, were you to go into an area where no one just steps in and does
 your work for you.

        manoj
 who, since Ted is involved in this thread, is not gonna post more
 than twice in a 24 hour period. With this mail, my quota is up for
 the day.
--
Happiness isn't having what you want, it's wanting what you have.