Re: On maintainers not responding to bugs

Vincent Bernat <bernat@luffy.cx> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> disait:

>> Maintaining packages should be fun and rewarding too.  Punishing people
>> for not doing something that we think is important has its place, but
>> only sparingly.

> Reporting bug  should be fun  too. Not getting  an answer is  not very
> polite and some users may feel that their bug reports are useless.

Sure, which is why I'm all in favor of responding where possible.  I just
don't want to see us let the best become the enemy of the good or hold
maintainers to standards that work fine for small packages but which don't
scale to huge ones.

Upstream projects frequently have unanswered bugs.  This is a problem with
all large free software products I've ever been involved with.  I'm all
for trying to do the right thing, but let's not burn ourselves out or turn
on each other over unrealistic standards.  If the entire rest of the free
software community is struggling with something, we're probably not going
to have a silver bullet that's going to make it easy for us, and we should
probably be realistic about what we can accomplish.