Re: I *love* goodbye-microsoft.com

On Saturday 24 February 2007 23:44, paddy@panici.net wrote:
> social contract, and fedora (and I came to debian before fedora
> and haven't paid that much attention to fedora) as hobbled by it's
> client status to redhat, which is a shame because I had hoped when
> fedora came about it might have the independence to truly rival debian,
> and redhat have some truly excellent people.

Fedora has recently become more free.  Fedora Extras (which accepts packages
from non-Red Hat employees) is becoming more integrated into the main Fedora
system.

> The *users* of windows and the *users* of macosx are not the enemy
> either.  Making it easier for users to see the full system is certainly
> putting the best foot forward, and I admire the work being done.

I agree.  However MS is the enemy and the goodbye-microsoft.com site is an
attack on them.

> So, why shouldn't the users of Fedora, or even say Ubuntu, be invited
> to upgrade to Debian ?!

Sure they should be made welcome.  But they can be made welcome in a
non-hostile way.

Why not register change-linux.com and have it document how to convert between
all the different distributions?  If someone finds that Debian doesn't suit
them then I welcome them to change to Fedora - they may change back later.
Changing to Windows is however something we want to avoid.

--
russell@coker.com.au
http://etbe.blogspot.com/          My Blog

http://www.coker.com.au/sponsorship.html Sponsoring Free Software development