Re: unwanted loading of libnss_nis.so in etch

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 02:30:48PM +0000, Mark Brown wrote:

> This is a reason why one might prefer files over compat, not a reason
> why one would prefer compat over the NIS module.

If you're using NIS but do not explicitely require plus addressing then
the compat module is still a completely unneeded module loaded
dynamically (DSO loading is not free) and cca. 20k of extra code being
used during NSS calls (icache is also not free).

> Given that it has benefits and I can't really see any substantial
> negatives to compat I don't see changing it.

It's your choice. For me deleting compat from /etc/nsswitch.conf is one
of the routine configuration steps after a fresh install.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences