Re: unwanted loading of libnss_nis.so in etch

On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 09:42:20AM +0000, Mark Brown wrote:

> Why do you say it is considered obsolete (beyond the whole "being NIS"
> thing)? It gives slightly more control than using the NSS module
> directly.

Because it uses NIS even if you are not aware of it thus wasting memory
in _every_ running process, it is a little slower than "passwd files
nis", and because very few people need the extra flexibility the
plus-adressing provides.

> It is also what is currently recommended by our NIS package.

That may very well be a remnant from the early-libc6 times when
preserving compatibility with libc5 and other Unices lacking nsswitch
was important.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences