Re: help

On Sat, 2007-02-10 at 16:33 -0700, RJ Gillis wrote:
> Hopefully you can forward this to the correct party; everyone I've tried gets my message returned stating: "you are not subscribed to this list". Yet, I cannot find a way to subscribe, nor do I wish to. Thanks- RJ
>

> Hi, I am hoping you can help me. I recently had to use 'safe mode' and
> when rebooting, was offer the choice of 'windows' or 'debian installer'.
> I have never seen or heard of debian before and no one else uses my pc,
> so the question is; how did this get on my pc? I cruised your site and I
> know it's an OS, but not how it got here. The only hardware changes I've
> made recently are a new monitor and graphics card; neither disc includes
> debian on it. Any clues? It sure is a mystery to me.
> Thanks- RJ

Are you sure you don't have geeky friend's messing with you, trying to
have you use Debian (Linux)?

I can't say for sure how the Debian Installer got onto your computer,
but it may have to do with the Debian Windows Installer project, check
www.goodbye-windows.com, which basically loads the Debian OS installer
from within MS Windows. It's neat... if you want it. As far as I know,
no one has forced this on anyone unwilling. (Though there would be irony
in forcing people to use a secure OS via a security hole in an insecure
OS)

To me this sounds like your opportunity to try out Debian GNU/Linux. If
you're not interested, just select to load Windows. Check out here for
how to fix your boot.ini file and go to Windows automatically when your
PC boots up: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022

If you've accidentally stumbled upon Linux, why not give it a shot? I'll
tell you one thing: you won't not know when you've installed a second
operating system!

(I've CC-ed to what I think might be the correct mailing lists for such
a topic. If you reply, keep please keep these addresses in the CC field)

--
Matthew K Poer