Re: Bugs in default GNOME etch?

On Monday 22 January 2007 18:05, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le lundi 22 janvier 2007 à 16:44 +0100, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) a
> écrit :
> > Those capplets were wanted enough to have been made, so obviously they
> > scratch someones itch. Or in other words they're usefull to someone
> > even if they're not usefull to you personally.
>
> Oh, really?
>
> Do you often need to call gstreamer-properties? This is the perfect
> example of a useless feature.

Me? nope, but then I'm not an audiophile, and I'm guessing they both want
and need that kind of control often. This is the whole point:

	 ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL

> if the capplet should probably remain available from the command line, it
> shouldn't remain in the menu.

Right, cause gnome is a graphical environment, so by all means lets rip out
the graphical way of doing things, who needs anything but a command line
anyway...

How about a more sensible approach, like oh say:
have it configurable which capplets are shown in the menu, with a sensible
default list not showing any of the 'insane' ones?

But I guess that's not the gnome way, cause that would mean another useless
configuration option, much faster and easier to just rip it out instead.

> Do you really think nautilus-file-management-properties is needed in the
> menu? These are settings specific to nautilus navigation, and they are
> available from every open nautilus window. Surely you'd expect nautilus
> settings to be available from the panel and not in nautilus...

At first glance this would seem to be a clear case where consolidation is
both in order and obvious. I don't see any removed features in this case
(but then I'm not all that familiar with either, as I don't use nautilus
personal, hence the 'at first glance').

But then does it hurt to have the option to show it in a capplet in the
menu? (Note that 'option', it doesn't necessarily have to be on by default)

> > The above paragraph only succeeds in reinforcing my believe that the
> > gnome usability engineers cut and ran instead of adressing the actual
> > scaling problem. And the above seems to indicate gnome's all set on
> > doing it all over again. I'm gonna guess that was not the picture you
> > were trying to give?
>
> Take the pictures you want. I'm not a photographer.

Sure, I'm just another (ex-)gnome user right? What I was trying to point out
is this:
1) the gnome approach to usability has a serious image problem and created a
   huge user backlash (disgrunteld ex-gnome users abound)
2) your points here have _not_ helped mend that image, quite the contrary,
   you've only reinforced it

Now if that's what you set out to do, then great. If not you might want to
reconsider your approach in the future.
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)