Re: xpm menu icon requirement. Was: Bugs in default GNOME etch?

Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le mardi 16 janvier 2007 à 02:46 +0100, Luca Capello a écrit :
> >    Is there a practical reason for requesting xpm icons?  No need to
> >    explain if an answer already exists, but I cannot find it.
>
> This is because some menu systems don't understand other formats.

Can you identify who these other menu systems or window managers are?

I've never been successful at locating one that
a) does use menu icons, and
b) cannot use non-xpm formats.

We have window managers whose menu does not use any icons, but of the
ones that do use icons, they all appear to support png as well as xpm.

As far as I can tell the xpm policy requirement comes from a previous
era when the new formats (png or otherwise) did not yet exist.  I don't
believe the constraint is needed anymore in 2007.

I would love to have my enlightenment increased.

Drew