Re: Etch Software RAID Upgrade Trouble & Suggested Installer Improvements

Russel Coker spoke:
: >    The rescue mode of the installer needs a step
: >    to activate MD devices. Currently, only the plain
: >    disk partitions are visible; that's no help.
:
: Sounds like a reasonable request.  Filed a bug report?
:
: Note that it has to be an optional measure.

I will, also for the other packages you have indicated.

Martin F. Krafft said:
: > Well, at the least it should scan for partitions marked as a RAID
: > and prompt the user whether or not to start the set.
:
: Other than the partition type, there's no way to do this, and
: setting the partition type is not always desirable.
:
: Anyway, check out /usr/share/mdadm/startall, which I hope to migrate
: to the udeb after etch. Then you can just call the script and have
: all arrays assembled.

I didn't think that in a recovery situation RAID assembly could
be damaging ... that obviously complicates matters.

I was thinking in the line of the rescue disks that were offered
years ago by Linux distributions, that could be configured to
load a kernel and mount the root file system on disk, thereby
sidestepping the Bermuda triangle of boot loader/kernel/initrd.
That's what I would have needed here.

Anyway, I was already hosed when there were no md devices in
/dev (and I didn't know the majors/minors to mknod them).

Kurt Roeckx enlightened
(after Roberto C. Sanchez' minimal art):
: > Well, at the least it should scan for partitions marked as a RAID
: > and
: > prompt the user whether or not to start the set.
:
: You basicly have to start the software raid configuration tool, and
: then
: press finish.  After that it will see the drives.  I've filed a bug
: about this some time ago:
: http://bugs.debian.org/391474

I think that's exactly what I was looking for, except I wasn't
aware of that.

Thanks everybody, it looks like there is a good chance that the

Claus

--
Claus Fischer <claus.fischer@clausfischer.com>
http://www.clausfischer.com/