Re: Not depending on shlibs because of plugins?

Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> wrote:
> I'm packaging a database wrapper library (http://oss.devit.com/yada/).
> Its purpose is to provide one single API to a program and let the user
> configure if the database used is actually postgres/mysql/sqlite. The
> actual interfacing with the databases is done by .so plugins that are
> dlopened at run time.

> Currently my package will depend on all of the database libs:

> | Depends: [...], libmysqlclient15off (>= 5.0.24-2), libpq4 (>= 8.1.4), libsqlite3-0 (>= 3.3.8)

> This kind of defeats the purpose of the package, the program(mer) uses
> this library in order not to pull in any (or even all) specific
> databases.

> Is it in this case ok if I replace ',' by '|' there?
[...]

(And dpkg-shlibdeps actually generates the dependency.)

I think an | *would* be ok but it is very hard to generate it well
using dpkg-shlibdeps. You might end up with these additional shlibs
for plugins:
pluginA: foo | bar, blah
pluginB: fasel

Which does not seem to be properly translateable into a valid single
fasel|(foo | bar, blah) Depends relation[1].

You could move the plugin's additional dependencies into Recommends,
using "dpkg-shlibdeps -vRecommends" but as the program would not work
without any plugin packaging them separately indeed seems to be the
sanest way.
cu andreas

[1] fasel|foo|bar, fasel| blah does not work since it allows
installing blah with fasel instead of either foo or bar. ;-)
--
The 'Galactic Cleaning' policy undertaken by Emperor Zhark is a personal
vision of the emperor's, and its inclusion in this work does not constitute