Re: Not depending on shlibs because of plugins?

On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 05:37:56PM +0100, Christoph Berg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm packaging a database wrapper library (http://oss.devit.com/yada/).
> Its purpose is to provide one single API to a program and let the user
> configure if the database used is actually postgres/mysql/sqlite. The
> actual interfacing with the databases is done by .so plugins that are
> dlopened at run time.
>
> Currently my package will depend on all of the database libs:
>
> | Depends: [...], libmysqlclient15off (>= 5.0.24-2), libpq4 (>= 8.1.4), libsqlite3-0 (>= 3.3.8)

>From the subject, I seem to understand that those are added by shlibs?
This seems to suggest that something in the package is linked to all the
libraries, and I don't see how you could remove it.

If it was only using dlopen(), you probably had to add those depends by
hand, which seem to be error prone to get the right versions.

If it's using dlopen(), you probably want to depend on the -dev packages,
unless you want to hardcode the complete name of the library instead of
the soname.  It probably already breaks if they're not installed.

Kurt