Re: RFC: Proposal for official screenshot repo

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 11:41:19 +0000
Steve Kemp <skx@debian.org> wrote:

>   This way multiple package versions can have distinct images, eg. the
>  package in Etch, the package in Lenny, and the package in Sid.  Each
>  of which might look completely different.

If we really use that scheme, there would be no need to declare an extra
header -- the location of the file can be calculated by the package manager
using the name of the package and the version number.

I personally find useless to have a single screenshot: what can you really
understand about the look and feel of a program by looking at a single

Far better would be to have some sort of "gallery" associated to the package,
described by a special file, something like

--- http://screenshots.debian.net/package/version.xml ---
    <description>Package's main window</description>
    <description>Package's preferences window</description>

Then synaptic or whatever other GUI frontend can download that file and show
the screenshots as a gallery, giving also a brief description of the picture.

KiyuKo <eof AT kiyuko DOT org>