Re: db.debian.org (and related infrastructure) updates

Kevin Mark <kevin.mark@verizon.net> writes:

> I was considering: sex & gender options and realized that the only
> reasonably non-changing question would be 'sex chromosomes'[0] which can
> be XX or XY (unless gravity or any person with relevant info can add to
> this).

Sex chromosones in humans can, indeed, be found in several combinations
other than XX or XY (XO, XXX, XXY, XYY, XO/XY, XX male, and XY female at
the least), and we don't even know for sure that the full set of
possibilities is enumerable.  Also, sex chromosones aren't the same thing
as gender.  Generally speaking, and this is a difficult area of language
in which all generalizations are suspect, "sex" is a statement about a
biological property and "gender" is a statement about a social property.