Re: db.debian.org (and related infrastructure) updates

On Sat, Dec 30, 2006 at 05:14:30PM +0100, Francois Petillon wrote:
> As we have started to collect stats, out of 1K connections, there are from
> 30 to 50 connections that look like sender verify. This is quite low right
> now but it could be harmful on big domains if more people use it.

Yes. Just like any other large amount of traffic could be harmful on
big domains.

> you are using someone else ressources to fight spam.

That's certainly true.

But, come to think of it, using someone else's resources is not really a
taboo on the Internet. We all participate in such things, almost constantly.
Whenever I make a connection to a site, that site has to spend resources to
answer me (even if the answer is a rejection). If I resolve a domain, this
takes a toll on the entire DNS infrastructure leading up to the desired
domain. I use a search engine, whose crawler bot most probably spent gobs
of resources on countless sites in order to get me search results.

I suppose we could just go about being unusually thrifty and use only our
own resources in anti-spam, but these days even content filtering from
SpamAssassin is fairly inadequate without a number of checks in remote
databases.

I guess the counter-argument could be - all those services are explicitly
created in order to voluntarily serve requests, but nobody volunteered their
server to answer sender verification requests. Yet, a sender verification
request is nothing but a three-command SMTP conversation. If someone puts an
SMTP server online, and connects it via DNS, it's not exactly strange that
other people talk to it.

> Second, spammers may adapt in an annoying way (either they will use
> domains who always answer a 2xx to rcpt to, or they will use verified
> emails).

Some of them actually already do that, all the time, for years now.

> >Also, sender verification when seen from the side of the victims is
> >indistinguishable from a dictionary attack, and may cause deliverability
> >issues to the hosts attempting it.
>
> I confirm it : we already have blacklisted IPs as they were issuing too
> many rcpt-to on not existing emails. These were dued to sender
> verifications...

You choose to ban those, just like someone else chooses to ban deliveries
from unverifiable senders. There's nothing particularly strange there.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.