Re: ssh-krb5 Conflicts/Replaces behaving oddly with conffiles

On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 04:17:56PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Brian May <bam@snoopy.debian.net> writes:
> > As far as I can tell from 402806, with a bit of guessing, what happens
> > is:
>
> > 1. unpack latest ssh-krb5
> >    (old conffiles not deleted)
> > 2. unpack openssh-server (conflicts is now satisfied)
> >    - detect conflicting conffile
> >    - replaces ineffective because ssh-krb5 has already been upgraded and no longer satisfies
> >      version criteria.
> >    - display error.
>
> > Disclaimer: not an expert.
>
> Hm, so maybe the Replaces shouldn't be versioned.  Would that make sense?

This is correct; I worked it out independently with dpkg -D7777 (coming
to exactly the same conclusions as Brian regarding the sequence of
events) and have committed a fix to my CVS repository. I think we
crossed in the post on the bug ...

Cheers,