Re: Hal issues with RB

Hello!

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 17:50:02 +0100, Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 11, 2006, Sven Arvidsson wrote:
>> If you're not running a complete GNOME environment, it's possible
>> that hal is missing. Rhythmbox seems to need it for audio CD
>> playback. At least that's what bug 380503 indicates.
>
> RB recommends gnome-volume-manager which depends on hal, but it
> might make sense to Recommend or even depend on hal, I didn't check
> whether it helps.

I'm the submitter of the bug mentioned above: as I reported,
installing hal solved the issue.

I think the problem has two points:

1) rhythmbox *should* at least recommends hal, because this (and not
   gnome-volume-manager) is what lets rhythmbox plays AudioCD.
   Moreover, the g-v-m recommendation has been added in version
   0.9.6-2 for iPod-autodetection support, after I reported the bug
   (discovered in version 0.9.5-2).  Obviously, I didn't and still
   don't have g-v-m installed.

2) no note about playing AudioCD is present in the README.Debian, thus
   the user cannot discover the problem source on a normal GNOME
   session, where I guess rhythmbox isn't started with terminal output
   (I didn't check, sorry).

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca