Re: symlinks replaced by directories and vice versa

On Sat, Dec 09, 2006, Mario 'BitKoenig' Holbe wrote:
> However, since this is such a frequent source of bugs and since so many
> package maintainers seem not to be able to deal well with it, I'm asking
> myself, if it wouldn't make sense to change this behaviour to something
> which is more native to maintainers - i.e. automagically replace
> symlinks by directories and vice versa (which would natively equal a
> package upgrade to a package removal followed by an installation of the
> new version) or abort package installation if it occurs or something
> like this.

 I agree it's counter-intuitive.  I seem to recall someone told me it
 was a feature of dpkg which allows local admin to e.g. ln -s /bigdisk
 /usr/share.  I'm not sure this is the correct explanation, but if it
 is, then perhaps it would make more sense to support this functionality
 at the dpkg level directly, perhaps in a similar fashion to diversions
 ("I want that anything that would be installed to /usr/share be
 installed in $otherdir" sounds similar to what diversion currently do).

> I'm not sure if this is the right list to discuss that

 (perhaps the dpkg list indeed)

--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>
 "I have no strong feelings one way or the other." -- Neutral President