Re: Ondemand governor by default in etch

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 05:23:51PM +0100, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> Am Donnerstag 07 Dezember 2006 16:36 schrieb John Goerzen:
> > I believe that we should enable CPU frequency scaling, and the ondemand
> > governer, by default in etch.
>
> Did you read the kernel help for it?:

So, broadly speaking, you support doing something like this by default,
just not the ondemand governor?

> "The support for this governor depends on CPU capability to do fast frequency
> switching (i.e, very low latency frequency transitions)."
> The most important word is "very".

I have yet to see a machine with trouble with this, though that doesn't
say they couldn't exist.

See, for example, Novell's comments here:

http://forge.novell.com/pipermail/powersave-devel/2006-April/000478.html

> > Earlier this morning, I wrote up the procedure [1] to enable CPU
> > frequency scaling and the ondemand governor.  It's about 3 pages, and
> > not even newbie friendly at that.  So the first reason is that people
> > that don't know about this feature aren't prone to find it, and even if
> > they find it, they aren't prone to know how to enable it.
>
> apt-get install cpufrequtils
> cpufreq-set -g ondemand
>
> Really hard ;)

That is completely useless unless the user has already manually figured
out which cpufreq modules to load, and loaded them.

I tested that before I wrote my article.  It doesn't load modules for
you, and nothing else does by default, either.  I also grepped through
the source: not an insmod or a modprobe to be found.

That bit is the largest problem anyway.

> > interfere with it.  I've tried it all over the place.  It is stable and
> > reliable.
>
> I already had a system go off with it. Ok, it didn't have low latency
> switching.

If we tweak the parameters so it doesn't switch as fast, probably that
could be solved, yes?  Novell seems to believe that ondemand configured
that way is more stable than conservative.

> You REALLY should take a look at laptop-mode-tools.
> They can do this for you including loading the proper modules when needed and
> LOTS of other energy saving technics.

I have.

It is also much more invasive than this simple switch, and doesn't
necessarily play nice with Gnome/KDE cpu frequency widgets, etc.  Plus
there are n favorite userspace daemons (laptop-mode-tools, powersaved,
powernowd, cpudyn, etc, etc.).

I suggested it this way because it is non-invasive and works with
anything.

> And you should take a look at the "conservative" governor, too.
> And BTW, did you measure the power savings? My WLAN card and monitor backlight
> eat _all_ the savings and the kernel usually knows how to put the processor
> to a sleep state.

It makes a noticable difference on my Macbook Pro's battery life.  I
don't (yet) have the equipment to measure the power draw of my desktop.

Note that this is not the same as a sleep state.  This holds the CPU at
a lower frequency until CPU utilization hits 80% (by default).

-- John