Re: Dropping GStreamer 0.8 for etch

Le jeudi 07 décembre 2006 à 09:53 +0100, Loïc Minier a écrit :
>  I've forwarded your patch upstream for comments.  I rely on upstream
>  for updates of gst-ffmpeg.  Applying such a patch to Debian only would
>  put upstream in a situation where bugs coming from Debian might be seen
>  as "tainted".

I don't think this justifies the extra burden on the security team, and
the bugs in some codecs that are fixed in the Debian ffmpeg package.
Given the growing number of h.264 videos out there, it doesn't make much
sense to ship a video player that can't read them, especially when it
can be so easily fixed.

As the situation is very similar in mplayer, mplayer is considered
RC-buggy by the security team. There was an exception for
gstreamer-ffmpeg because it was considered too difficult to fix, but I
don't think this is justified and this should be considered
release-critical as well.
--
Josselin Mouette                /\./\

"Do you have any more insane proposals for me?"