Re: debian-private and Gmail

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Pierre THIERRY wrote:

I thought that very few ISP have really the will and disk space to

I do not think about ISPs only.  Have you ever heard about Echelon.
(Just try Emacs Meta-x spook: covert video Firewalls nuclear
assassination Geraldton Firefly colonel eavesdropping BCCI
dictionary Bletchley Park wire transfer Glock plutonium Ron Brown
to ensure you will be recorded.)  Just think about people who
try to fight terrorism and furthermore think about those people
in you neighbourhood who are able in several ways to sniff (and
these people know you and might probably have a stronger interest
to know your mail conversation than any random inteligence service.

So there is no need to be paranoid about privacy of GMail:
unencrypted mail is per definition not private and has to
be taken as equivalent to a picture postcard.

And no, I do not think that we should encrypt debian-private.
I never wrote things to this mailing list that I could not write
open (on a picture postcard) and I have never seen any mail that
would be really worth to be encrypted on this list.  So just
calm down and ignore these ugly spys who seem to have fun to
read your mails.

Kind regards

          Andreas.
--