Re: Automatically collect hardware information from users?

On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 01:51:28PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> writes:
[hwdb-client]
> Shouldn't that be included in popularity-contest?

I would think that's a bad idea. I can imagine people not being
too happy when finding out that this application which supposedly only
sends out information on the software they use and how regularly they
use it, now suddenly also sends out data on the hardware they run on,
and whatnot. This is called "intrusions of privacy".

It might be a better idea to keep this in a separate package, or at
least ask separately whether people want it to be enabled.

  -- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22