Re: KDE and Gnome panel applets showing percentage of broken packages

On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 04:25:23PM +0100, Berke Durak wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are collecting Debian metadata daily and running installability
> checks.  For instance, today, 1.3% of the packages in unstable/i386 are
> broken.  The worst in the past 3 months has been on September 10th and
> 11th with 7.8% and 7.7% of packages broken in unstable.  These were
> particularly bad days for upgrading your packages.  This data can
> be browsed online at :

Hello Berke,
I find this kind of global analysis extremly interesting, because we
tend to see the distribution as a set of packages and miss the big
picture.

However, I am unsure what "broken" above means? Is not the whole purpose
of dependencies is to prevent upgrades to break packages ?  Why would a
package be 'broken' because if depend on packages that are not yet in
sid ?

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>