Re: Proposed new POSIX sh policy, version two

Jari Aalto <jari.aalto@cante.net> writes:

> I would drop that "special" case and always require explicit requirement
> for the shell. It's more clear to see which packages "need" bash to make
> them work. someone may then provide a patch to "make bash go away".

This would conflict with Policy 3.5, which says that packages should not
depend on any essential package unless they need a specific version.
Policy shouldn't contradict itself, so I think this would require further
discussion and justification for making an exception for bash.

In practice, I don't think it would ever be possible to remove any feature
from the set of essential packages in Debian.