Re: Proposed new POSIX sh policy

On Fri, 2006-11-17 at 18:08 +0200, Jari Aalto wrote:
> I'm sure someone can rephrase the above better, my idea being:
>
> - /bin/dash is the measure (the minimum)
>
> - It is encouraged that maintainers accept patches and seek ways to
>   generalize scripts (= pay attention to lintian warnings)
>   even further so that they are not restricted to even
>   /bin/dash alone. It is preferred that scrpts could also work with
>   /bin/posh /bin/pdksh /bin/mksh etc. as well, if this does not require
>   overly complex constructs in the programs.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that posh was
created for the purpose of providing a shell which supports a minimum
of functionality required by policy against which scripts could be
tested.  If providing such a shell as a measure is the way to go,
would it not make sense to modify posh in the respects that it does
not represent policy?[1]

--
Cheers,      |      kwl7@cornell.edu     |    kevinoid@jabber.org
Kevin        |   http://kevinlocke.name  |   kevinoid on freenode

1.  Of course, if the policy decision is to list supported shells this
becomes somewhat less meaningful...