Re: Proposed new POSIX sh policy

On Thu, 2006-11-16 at 21:16 -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         Your scripts shouuld really just use whatever POSIX mandates
>  ls has. Just like it should use whatever POSIX mandates test has.

Ok, so this means something like the following would be good for policy:

"When POSIX specifies a command, shell scripts should only use the
options mandated by POSIX for that command, even if the standard Debian
versions have more.  Specify a complete pathname to the command if you
need the options the standard Debian version provides.  (Exceptions:
echo -n, and test -a/-e may be used even though not mandated by POSIX.)

"You may use commands not specified by POSIX, provided they are in
essential packages, or packages that you Depends: on."

>         Like POSIX, your script ought not to care about where the
>  command comes from. If you have depended on debconf, you can rely on
>  it present. If something makes debconf not behave like the
>  documentation for debconf says it should, that thing is buggy.
>  Either there is a bug in debconf, or there is a bug in the shell
>  interpreter.

I'm not sure I understand, because this seems like you said something
different previously.

You are saying that if a shell makes debconf behave differently
than /usr/bin/debconf, and that breaks your script, then it's a bug in
the shell and a script author need not worry, right?  Sounds excellent
to me.

But we have the case where shells make test or echo or kill behave
differently than /usr/bin/test, /bin/echo, and /bin/kill.  The only
difference, it seems to me, is that POSIX mandates test, echo, and kill,
but does not mandate debconf.  In that case, the suggested text I wrote
above, which makes this distinction, would do the trick, right?

Thomas