Re: Proposed new POSIX sh policy

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 20:03:54 +0100, Marco d'Itri <md@Linux.IT> said:

> On Nov 14, Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
>> So, what features do we settle on?  we can either standardize on,
>> well, a standard: POSIX/SUSv3, -- but there are things we use that
>> come from XSI. I guess we could standardize on SUSv3 +XSI
>> shells. Would still make local illegal:).  The issue here sems to
>> be that we are beginning to see people want to add in various and
>> sundry features which are not pure POSIX just because people have
>> been using it in their scripts.
> No, there is no such issue. The issue is that a few people tried to
> remove all use of test -a/-e and local from /bin/sh scripts, and
> failed miserably. Before this there was a widely agree definition of
> what /bin/sh needs to support and almost no bugs related to this.

        If we decide it is the right thing to do, such a failure need
 not be permanent; we can scour all remaining instances of such usage,
 and remove them, using NMU's as appropriate.  In other words, failure
 of previous efforts to do the right thing should not scontrain us
 from attempting to do the right thing in the future.

        manoj
--
Each person has the right to take the subway.